WINTER STORM UPDATE FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 8th – MONDAY, FEBRUARY 9th
February 8, 2015
The City of Revere has issued a parking ban beginning this evening at 6:00 P.M. Wonderland Parking Garage is available for parking at the current rate of $12.00 per day (we are in the process of attempting to have the rate reduced to $5.00 and will keep you posted). We encourage all residents to park their vehicles in their driveways or off the street, if possible, to allow the plows to get through.
Revere Public Schools are closed on Monday, February 9th.
MEMA ADVISORY: Snow buildup can cause roof collapse. With the threat of a large accumulation of snow, added weight and street to roofs, especially flat, commercial roofs, can cause collapse. To minimize the risk of over-stressing a building roof due to accumulated or drifting snow:
– Be on the alert for large accumulating snow build-up or snowdrifts on your roofs;
– If roof snow can be removed, from the ground, with the use of a snow rake (available at most hardware stores), do so. Use caution, as metal snow rakes conduct electricity if they come into contact with a power line. Protective headgear and eye protection is recommended.
– Try to avoid working from ladders, as ladder rungs tend to ice up. Snow and ice collect on boot soles, and metal ladders.
– Flat roofs can be shoveled clear, but only if it is determined that the roof is safe to stand upon. Exercise care when on the roof to avoid potentially dangerous falls.
– Flat roof drainage systems should be kept clear to minimize the risk of excess roof ponding in the event of subsequent heavy rainfall or melting.
– Large icicles can form on roof overhangs, but do not necessarily mean ice damming is occurring. Icicles overhanging doorways and walkways can be dangerous and should be carefully removed.
– All of the suggested actions should only be performed by able-bodied adults as the snow is heavy, and roofs and other surfaces may be slippery. If you are unable to safely remove the snow yourself, hire a qualified professional.
All municipal buildings will be closed on Monday, February 9th.